As the world starts to reopen, the weather starts to get warmer, we may find it difficult to manage a healthy weight in the spring and summer time. It’s important to have some foundational habits that you are consistent with that can help with those not so healthy choice days. Having a lifestyle that is built around the 80/20 rule, will help you feel less restrictive, have more food freedom and not have uncontrolled cravings.
The following tips can help you manage a healthy weight while keeping you on track at the same time.
Ways to Manage Your Weight
- 1. Modify your surroundings to support your goals
- Rearrange your kitchen so your healthiest food options are at eye level
- 2. Write out a grocery list
- Before safely heading to the store or ordering groceries online, write yourself a list. Avoid grocery shopping when hungry or feeling stressed.
- 3. Meal prep!
- Batch cook snacks and meals to make them readily available instead of waiting until you are already hungry to eat.
- 4. Set reminders
- To avoid hunger, set reminders on your phone to eat small, frequent meals every 2-3 hours.
- 5. Identify your hunger, psychological or physical?
- Psychological: intense, increases quickly, usually involves specific cravings for foods high in sugar, fat, salt.
- Physical: gradually increases, body cues (stomach growling, feeling a reduction in energy), without strong cravings.
- 5. Stay hydrated!
- Drink at least 64 ounces of water each day. Spice up your water with lemon slices or cucumber slices and a few mint leaves.
Remember, at the end of the day, it’s the habits you respectively do every day that impact long term. Apply simple habits that work in your life that support the goals you are trying to accomplish.